This course is for anyone who needs a results-oriented introduction to Perl 5.
It is designed to give you a solid background in the Perl language, covering all of its major features and functions.
In the next lesson, some of the features of the Perl Programming Language will be covered.
Then, the following two lessons will walk you through the steps of downloading
perl and installing it on your machine.
We will presume that you have already studied Learning Perl, using at least the fifth edition, or at least pretend you have, and that you have
played enough with Perl to already have those basics down.
Make sure you know the following things.
- How to run a Perl program on your system
- The three basic Perl variable types: scalars, arrays, and hashes
- Control structures such as while, if, for, and foreach
- Basic regular expressions
- List operators such as grep, map, sort, and print
- File manipulation such as open, file reading, and -X (file tests)
You might pick up deeper insight into these topics in this course, but we are going to presume you know the basics.
The final parts of this course deal with distributions and contributing to CPAN.
To do that, you should apply for a PAUSE account now so itís ready to use when you get there.